Sunday

The outpouring of love for me this past week has been prodigious.
For reference, my wife and I moved to Pittsburgh in November. I had a full time job and had high hopes that I would be able to find similar work soon after coming here. Something about sending out hundreds and hundreds of resumes gave me a false sense of security. Now I'm just temping and facing the end of that project. We'd like to get a house but I need a full time job and a month's worth of pay stubs from this eventual full time job in order to get the loan.
At long last I got the call for an interview. I took time off for it and it paid off. They asked me to come back! "Dress in business casual. You'll be shadowing one of or salesmen for a shift." I went in a suit and it snowed as we walked around a neighborhood in Pittsburgh. (Read: hills.) Fortunately for me, I wear Doc Martens and they had an extra coat.
The rapport was good with both the interviewer and the customers. I answered most of their questions very well. Everything went great except the part where they said it was 100% commission based. But this economy sucks, right? Who am I to look a gift horse in the mouth?
Then they told me the work was 11am-8pm every day. This is an issue because of the season that we are heading in to.
But as I said, the outpouring of love has been prodigious. The prayers I need have been offered by myself and by those who love me. I can't speak for others but my prayers have mostly just been for mercy.
I know that I am potentially going to be offered a job on Monday and this is the point at which the prayers will show their efficacy. After much thought, reflection, and conversation, (not to mention prayer) I've decided that I will not take the position if offered. I'm not confident that I can hack it in the field but more I want to make sure that I can spend time with my wife and especially that I can attend the services during this approaching season of repentance.
So, hoping that I am making the wise choice, hoping that I am making the choice that honors God, hoping that we will not regret the lack of work in a month, I choose to believe that God has heard the prayers offered on my behalf and that He has given me the wisdom to choose. We will continue to hope and depend on Him though it may potentially mean delaying our plans. We will continue to pray and to be as faithful as poor souls such as ourselves in order to follow the plan God has for us. (Hopefully that includes full time work soon. Keep praying!)

No comments:

Post a Comment